San Juan del Puerto’s creation revolves around the Carta Puebla or charter that was granted by the Guzmanes La fundación de San Juan del Puerto, a través de la Carta Puebla concedida por los Guzmanes onJanuary 10, 1468 and is line with the repopulation that took place in Andalusia during the 14th and 15th centuries affecting many other localities in the province of Huelva.

Torre-fortaleza árabe. Finca de la TorreThere was previous Roman presence by the Candón river and its bridge, and later on there existed a Roman settlement in town on the road to Seville, with a fortified tower for the defense of the surrounding territory.

However, and before San Juan became a village, there was a small port at the service of fishermen and poor people, where fruit and wines were shipped. The economic situation during the 17th century favored trade, a trade conducted on the left bank of the Tinto at the ports of Moguer and Palos, which were outside the control of the Medina-Sidonia family. As the right bank of the river Tinto proved to be strategically significant, the Count of Niebla and Duke of Medina-Sidonia finally issued forth a Carta de Privilegios or charter for the Port of San Juan, which was how our city first came to be termed. Thus the foundation of the Port of San Juan essentially had an economic and commercial background. The port prospered and soon caused many of San Juan del Puerto inhabitants to sail for the Indias: Mateo Morales formed part of the second expedition to the Americas organized by Cristobal Columbus in 1493. In 1551 the Port of San Juan came to be termed villa or town and during the 17th century it became a point for the distribution of foreign imports along Huelva’s coast. During the 18th century, and apart from seafaring commerce, San Juan del Puerto also ships products from the countryside: wheat and grape, but also firewood and cork from the meadows, shared lands and salt marshes.

La Estación de San Juan del Puerto a principios del s. XXDuring the 19th century, port activity was in decline. However, the English colonial exploitation of the Andévalo mines reactivated commercial life in the port again.. In 1867, the construction of the Buitrón railway started. The San Juan dock was conditioned for copper pyrite ores and all the agricultural, livestock and forestry products from the towns with railway connection (Valverde, Beas and Trigueros). The activity was paralyzed in 1969 due to lack of profitability. (Current work is being done for the recovery of the Tinto Wharf and its surroundings, and he old Buitrón railway line is being turned into a green route in the hope of developing leisure and free time-based activities in the near future).

In recent years, our town services have been implementing a series of cultural, educational, sports and health services of the highest quality that have met the demands of an increasingly large number of people who have chosen San Juan del Puerto as their living place. Nowadays, San Juan del Puerto, with a young and educated population, is undergoing a process of industrial expansion and agricultural transformation that in the medium term, will consolidate this municipality as one of the most prosperous in the province.